- April 18, 2018
A yeast infection is a condition caused by the fungus Candida Albicans. It is also called Candidiasis. The yeast may infect the vagina, mouth, or other moist areas on the skin.
Symptoms may include:
- A discharge from the vagina that is thick and white and looks like paste or cottage cheese
- Redness of the outer part of the vagina (the vulva)
- A burning feeling when you urinate
Interestingly, some women may not have any symptoms.
You should see your health care provider before you use any of the following nonprescription products, especially if:
- You have never had a yeast infection
- There is any doubt that yeast is the cause of your symptoms
- You are sexually active
- Medicines are available as suppositories, creams, and tablets to be taken by mouth.
- Some medicines you can buy without a prescription, such as Miconazole Nitrate (Monistat-7) and Clotrrmazole (Gyne-Lotrimin, Mycelex 7, and FemCare).